What is Design Photography all about?
The focus of this course is introducing basic photography skills and techniques. You will learn about theories and practices involved in photography that will guide your development of your creativity, photography work and style. You will develop an understanding of design and how to communicate with your photographic work. There will be opportunities to plan, design and produce of photographs for your portfolio.
In this course you could develop a competitive edge for current and future industry and employment in the design field.
Who should select these units in Year 11?
- You have an interest in photography.
- You are interested in having a career in design and photography.
- You want to use Photography to build a portfolio, to gain entry into a certificate course
- Previous photography experiences are not necessary, but would be an advantage.
Upon successful completion of these units, students would progress to Unit 3 and Unit 4 Design Photography in year 12.
Areas of Study
UNIT 1 – Design Photography
Focus on design fundamentals
- Understand the history, traditions, tools and techniques of photography.
- Understand that design can be used to provide solutions to design problems and communication needs.
- Develop an understanding of design elements and principles.
- Develop an understanding of the design process and design practice.
- Develop an understanding of basic photographic production skills and processes, materials and technologies.
UNIT 2 – Design Photography
Focus on personal design
- Visually communicate aspects of their personality, values and beliefs.
- Apply basic photographic production skills and process.
- Explore design elements and principles in photography projects.
- Effectively use the design process in photography projects.
To provide for different learning styles a variety of assessment tasks are used. For each course of study tasks are selected from:
- Analysis of photographs.
- Written research of photography history, photographers and photography styles.
- Planning, designing and production of photographs.