What is VET Plant Mechanic all about?
VET Plant Mechanic would be of interest to students with good maths skills who enjoy working with metals and large machines and don’t mind working in noisy, dirty and at times dangerous conditions. Plant mechanics work with a range of tools to diagnose and repair industrial or agricultural machinery and equipment malfunctions. They may also perform routine maintenance on machinery, and operate a number of machines that grind, drill, shape and mill replacement components. They assemble and fit these components, which might require welding, before performing a final test of the equipment.
Who should select this Certificate?
- Any student interested in becoming an engineering tradesperson
- A student who has tried or wants experience in the engineering area.
Upon successful completion of this certificate, students could progress to the following certificates:
- Certificate III in Engineering – Production Systems
- Certificate III in Engineering – Fabrication Trade
- Certificate III in Engineering – Mechanical Trade
- Certificate III in Engineering – Industrial Electrician
- Certificate III in Marine Craft Construction
- Certificate III in Locksmithing
Job opportunities for this pathway include:
- Surface Finishers
- Engineering tradesperson
- Mechanical Fitter
- Plant Mechanics
- Mechatronic Engineer
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineer